Saturday, September 1, 2007

Finished Object - Lace Scarf

It feels like it's been ages since I've finished anything. Thursday night I stayed up late and finally finished the lace scarf for the class I'll be teaching in October.

Snowdrop Lace Scarf, pattern my own. Yarn: JoJoLand Melody, color Y-20, not quiet 2 balls Finished size: 10"x70"

I am really pretty pleased with how this one came out. None of the pictures I took show the color very well. It looks so washed out. Oh well, this is all I could manage with the girls running around.

I ended up deciding to just knit the entire thing in one direction, rather than stopping at half way, knitting the second half from the beginning and then grafting them together. For me personally, it just doesn't matter. I will include instructions for that technique though when I write this up for my class.

By the way, did you notice the nice straight edge on the scarf? Well that is thanks to these beauties:

I'm not sure how clear the picture is, but those are "dressing wires" or "blocking wires". These are from Handworks Northwest, which is a local company. You can buy them direct from the company through the link above or from All About Yarn.

I had never used blocking wires before but decided to take the plunge since I seem to be knitting a lot of lace these days. Wow, what a difference they make! In the past, I would run a waste yarn along the edges of my knitted item, then tack it out in a straight line. I would then pull the knitted item into shape on the taught line and pin at various intervals when I had it where I wanted it.

With these blocking wires, I will admit it was a bit of a pain to thread the wet scarf onto the wires, but once that was done, it was so easy to get it stretched out and pinned. And, I have never had such straight lines before - seems like I would always end up with little "blips" here and there. So, I can say that this was an excellent purchase and I highly recommend them for anyone who is planning to do more than occasional lace knitting.

No comments: