Wednesday, August 1, 2007

You might be wondering what the deal is with the name of the blog, although if you knit I doubt it. What knitter hasn't had to say "One moment please, I'm counting"? Knitting frequently entails a lot of counting. However, I did not realize how often I said this until my 3 1/2 year old started to learn to knit.

It happened a few months ago when I took her to one of my favorite local yarn shops, Molehill Farm in Lake Oswego. There is a lovely woman who works there on Sundays named Vicki. She and my daughter had a great time chatting. At one point Vicki turned to me and said "You know, I can teach a 4 year old how to knit. Would you like me to teach your little girl?". Well, to make a long story short, we went back another day and she taught A. how to cast on.

It was while she was sitting at the table, brow furrowed, concentrating on casting on, that another shopper asked her what she was knitting. She immediately said "Shhh, I'm counting". The entire room broke out into laughter and looked at me. "Wonder where she heard that?" was the resounding response.

They really do hear everything, don't they?

No comments: