Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Trouble with Trolls

Since I still have nothing exciting to show on the knitting front, today I will share another of my favorite children's books with you. If you're here just for the knitting, you can skip this post.

A couple of posts ago I mentioned a book by Jan Brett called "The Hat". It is very well loved by my girls, as is her book "The Mitten". As with all of Jan Brett's books, they are well written with beautiful illustrations. Best of all, gorgeous knitted items feature prominently in both.

Recently I came across another of her books on one my trips to the Goodwill. This one is called "The Trouble with Trolls" and it might just be my favorite. I like it so much that I have decided to keep it with my "special" books for now. After all, how can you go wrong with a book that has both trolls and beautiful hand knit Scandinavian clothing?

You'll note that this is a "Scholastic" version. I'm fine with that since I collect these books purely for my own amusement and not as any sort of an investment. It doesn't hurt that I can usually find these soft bound versions for about $0.49! As I have said many times, I sure do love Goodwill. In Portland, it can be a real treasure trove. This story is about a girl who lives somewhere in an Alpine region. She ends up having her dog taken by a pack of trolls and then has to outsmart the trolls in order to retrieve her beloved pet.


She uses all of her gorgeous hand knit garments as bargaining chips for the return of her dog, then in the end tricks the trolls so that she gets back all of her garments and her dog. Really a fun little story, but the pictures are my favorite part of this book.
As with all of Jan Brett's books, there is so much going on in each page, not just in the main illustration, but in the illios around the edges too. They actually fill the reader in a bit on the trolls' story, showing their longing for a dog and the great amount of preparation they do so that the dog will be comfortable. It almost makes you sad for the trolls.

Unlike some of my other books, this one should be easily accessible. I highly recommend checking it out next time you're at the library or in the children's section of your local bookstore.

No comments: