Sunday, June 22, 2008

Summer of Socks

What seems like months ago now, I signed up for the Summer of Socks. (This link takes you to a Ravelry page). This is a knit-along in which people knit socks and share pictures with each other. Participants were not allowed to cast on for qualifying socks before Midnight, June 21. This matters because there are prizes for things like "the most adult size pairs of socks completed" The knit-along goes through September 1.

I have no illusions about my ability to knit the most pairs of socks. I have a full time job, small children to raise and other obligations that will get in the way, I am sure. However, I thought it would be fun to play along.

In preparation for this event, I have been building the sock yarn stash a little but have made myself wait to cast on any new adult socks until the 21st. This weekend has been really busy though, so I didn't get a chance to cast on until about 10 PM last night!

This is how far I have gotten as of this afternoon. This pair is knit in Socks that Rock Heavy weight, so they are going fast.

I'll post more details when I get them done, hopefully later this week.

Some of you have seen me carrying around that sorry pair of sparkly stripped socks for months now. Sigh. They are still not done. Since I started them ages ago, they don't count for SOS, so I have decided to set them aside for now. I imagine I will finish them some time this summer...hopefully.

In the mean time, here is a little pair of socks I whipped up while at TNNA.

These are for A. They are knit with the left-overs from this pair of socks. So, Socks that Rock Medium weight in "Midsummer Night", basic sock pattern.

I know I have mentioned this before, but A. loves to have me take pictures of her in hand knit socks. She came up with these poses by herself. Silly girl.

Each of the girls have three pairs of hand knit socks now. They know the routine and start to scope out any socks I am knitting, expressing their preferences for the left-overs. For example, A. has said she does not think the green yarn I am using for the pair of "in-process" socks above is pretty, while V. has been petting it while I am knitting and saying how much she "realllly likes it". If there's enough left over, I guess we know who's getting it.

I actually have a small pile of FO's to show off on the blog. Even though I have been a lame blogger lately, I have not been quiet as lame in the knitting department...More over the next few days.

No comments: